Tournament Results November 2, 2019
Vassar College Debate
- High school debaters from the Bridgeport Public Schools Debate League traveled to Poughkeepsie, NY to participate in the Vassar Invitational Debate Tournament held on the campus of Vassar College.
- The League’s top speakers were Kenny Pineda (Fairchild Wheeler), Clementine Gnoto (Central Magnet) and Stephanie Rivera (Central Magnet).
- Also competing were Latonia Ferguson (Central Magnet) Thomas Donnelly (Fairchild Wheeler) Carlos Aguilar (Fairchild Wheeler) Anna Ovalle (Fairchild Wheeler).
Tournament Results October 15, 2019
Hispanic Heritage Debate
- In the 2019 Hispanic Heritage Debate Fairchild Wheeler’s Kenny Pineda and Roberto Hernandez Velez defeated Central Magnet’s Stephanie Rivera and Evelyn Saqui-Lima for the high school division championship. The resolution was This House Would make English the
official language of the United States.
- For the middle school division championship, Cesar Batalla’s Atila Rivero and Melissa Jaco, defeated and Discovery/Park City Magnet’s Abraham Lima and Jhilary Garcia on the resolution, This House Would end standardized testing for all elementary school students.
Tournament Results September 28, 2019
- In the finals of the inaugural Superintendents’ Cup (novice division), Discovery Magnet’s Abraham Lima and Jason Velasco prevailed on the resolution THBT private schools are unethical.
In the varsity division, Fairchild Wheeler’s Annaliese Ovalle and
Thomas Donnelly took the runners-up spot.
- Also competing and congratulations to:
Kelliece Dixon/Ciara Feliciano (Park City Magnet)
Isabella Valencia/Janelle Newell (Multicultural Magnet)
Clementine Gnoto/Stephanie Rivera (Central Magnet)
Kenny Pineda/Andrew Rosario (Fairchild Wheeler)
Championship Final Results May 20, 2019
- In the 2019 Bridgeport Public Schools Debate League Championship, Betsy Ross’ Gihon Mack and Jayla Anderson defeated Discovery Magnet’s Abraham Lima and Nataly Valencia. The resolution was “This House would require government to obtain warrants to access information such as telephone and internet data that can be used to track an individual”.
- In the semifinals, Mack and Anderson defeated Aldin Medunjanin and Thomas Donnelly of Discovery Magnet and Lima and Valencia defeatedGenesis Bendolph and Laila Kelly-Walker of Betsy Ross. The resolution was “This House would remove the words ‘under God’ from the American Pledge of Allegiance as a violation of the First Amendment”.
Championship Tournament Results May 18, 2019
- 31 teams competed in the season ending championship tournament of the Bridgeport Public Schools Debate League. The topic was US Constitutional Amendments. Teams from Betsy Ross (2 teams), Geraldine Claytor(1 team), Discovery Magnet (3 teams), Park City Magnet (1 team) and Jetti Tisdale (1 team) advanced to the quarterfinals, with Betsy Ross (2 teams) and Discovery Magnet (2 teams) advancing to the final 4.
Tournament Results May 6, 2019
- In the 2019 Hispanic Heritage Debate Cesar Batalla’s Joaquin Chunga and Atila Rivero defeated Multicultural Magnet’s Sofia Atehortua and Rosa Navarro Pulla, in the novice devision. The resolution was “This House believes that the U.S. should take in more refugees.” In the varsity division, Geraldine Claytor’s Evelyn Saqui-Lima and Stephanie Rivera defeated Park City Magnet’s Ciara Feliciano and Daniela Aguero. The resolution was “This House supports illegal immigrants becoming citizens.”
Tournament Results May 1, 2019
- Discovery Magnet’s Aldin Medunjanin and Thomas Donnelly defeated Park City Magnet’s Kelliece Dixon and Ruth Morgan in the 2nd annual Greater Bridgeport Bar Association’s Law Day Debate. The resolution was “This House would regulate the press.”
Tournament Results Mar. 30, 2019
- 28 teams competed in the season’s fourth tournament. The topic was criminal justice.
Tournament Results March 2, 2019
- Cancelled due to inclement weather
Tournament Results February 27, 2019
- Park City Magnet (Kelliece Dixon and Ruth Morgan) representing the government, defeated Discovery Magnet (Thomas Donnelly and Aldin Medunjanin) in the Third Annual NAACP Douglas-Garrison Debate. The resolution was This House would treat White Supremacy groups as terrorist organizations. In the varsity division, Central High School (Jada Burgess and Katerina Ruiz) also representing the government, defeated Fairchild Wheeler (Heer Thakkar and Kenny Pineda) on the resolution This House would make Bridgeport a gun-free zone.
Tournament Results Feb. 2, 2019
- 32 teams competed in the season’s third tournament. The topic was the environment.
Tournament Results Jan. 25, 2019
Twin City Classic
- Jettie S Tisdale (Annaliese Ovalle and Lindsey Mohammed) defeated New Haven’s Betsy Ross in the inaugural Twin City Classic Tournament held at Yale University. Central High School (Ezequiel Fontan and Chunjang Bruynder) was the runners up in the varsity division. The topic for the debate was immigration reform.
Tournament Results Dec.18, 2018
- Geraldine Claytor (Clemintine Gnoto and Stephanie Rivera) defeated Discovery Magnet (Aldin Medunjanin and Thomas Donnelly) in the inaugural Magnet Cup Tournament. The topic was education.
Tournament Results Dec. 15, 2018
- 32 teams competed in the season’s second tournament. The topic was technology.
Tournament Results Nov.10, 2018
- 36 teams competed in the season opening tournament. The topic was education.